Saturday, May 26, 2012

Blue Mountains (May 5/6)

My trip to the Blue Mountains was the best surprise! Alex messaged me on Friday afternoon, asking if I wanted to take an overnight bag and "go somewhere with him" on Saturday night (I jokingly told my mom and dad if they didn't hear from me in 48 hours to call the popo). I had a feeling he was either planning on taking me to Newcastle or the Hunter Valley, but as we headed to the west of Sydney late Saturday afternoon, I started to get a small inkling that we were heading to the Blue Mountains instead. And I was spot on!

Alex planned to make it to the Three Sisters for sunset, but we hit traffic and missed the sunset. Instead we drove around and checked out the small town of Katoomba. It's a really cute town, it kind of reminded me of a winter-y, mountainous Webster Groves. After grabbing some Italian food (I had the best steak I've ever had in my entire life), we went back to our crack den of a hostel. Side note: apparently our hostel used to be an old nursing home--Sounds promising already, right? Anyways, thank god I had Alex there with me, I had the worst bed in the place, right by the window, and the guy above me would not stop moving!

The next day we grabbed breakfast in Katoomba before we went out to the see the Three Sisters. They were definitely a sight to see... Apparently everyone else thought so too, there were a ton of tourists!
Posing with the Three Sisters in the distance
We walked down to the first sister, which is the only one accessible still 
We went back into Katoomba because I just had to buy this hat that I tried on earlier before heading out to Jenolan Caves for the afternoon.
The drive to Jenolan Caves
After an hour or so of driving, some of which was on a one way road through the mountains, we arrived to the home of the Jenolan Caves; we arrived just in the nick of time, and joined the tour of the main cave.

The Broken Column
Home of the fairies
After the extremely informative tour we went out to see the other sights, we went to the huge Devil Wells and the Blue Pond which is not photo-shopped in my pictures. And since we were there at around 5 PM, we were lucky enough to see a platypus in the wild. Apparently this is exceptionally rare; the platypus are expected to die out in fifty years or so since experts can't figure out how to breed them in captivity.
Inside Devil's Well
Jenolan's Blue Pond
The platypus we saw in the wild!
View driving home
It was a great weekend, there's still so many things I haven't done in the Blue Mountains. Hopefully, a second trip is in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment