Saturday, March 10, 2012

Changes so far: Month 1

I thought I'd just do a short post about the changes that I've noticed about myself thus far.

When I first arrived here, I was very enthralled with everything; even the small things were exciting like the Australian license plates and hearing an Australian voice during a commercial not an American one. I remember when I first got off the plane from Brisbane, I had this sort of euphoric feeling when I first saw all the green and felt the humid, summer heat. This enchanted feeling sort of numbed the stress I felt from being in such a new situation. Also, my orientation tired us out so much that by the end of the day, I was so exhausted that as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out. Basically, I was in the honeymoon stage of culture shock.

After Cairns, I felt culture shock like none other when I arrived in Sydney. I wasn't in that crazy, over the top exciting feeling anymore; I just wanted to be home (I've noticed that if I get stressed here or super anxious, the same feeling kicks in again). Luckily for me, since I live in a college, they kept us busy majority of that first week. My American friends that I had made in Cairns, also made me feel a little better that week since I was already comfortable with them. I also went running a lot the first week or so in Sydney; I was so stressed because I knew that I had five months until I went home, that I had terrible anxiety, but running made me feel way better, and it tired me out, so it was easier to sleep at night. Beating myself to a pulp, helped me clear my head when home seemed so far away. In the first two weeks, especially that first night when I went to a house party with Renee and Lea, I had to really focus when they, the Australians, spoke; since I was concentrating so hard on what they were saying, it was kind of hard for me to be myself. I probably cried once a day that first week here... I was that homesick!

It has officially been one month since I left home... I miss home every single day. Being here I have realized how important my family and friends are to me. I am so lucky to have such a good family and friends, and being here, I know how rare it is to have the people in my life like I do back home. As much as I love it here, America is my home and always will be; yes, there are some things I wish I could change about it or things that they did in Australia that I wish they'd do in America, but I love America. People say Australia is a beautiful country, and I agree one hundred percent, but America is just as beautiful. I also think that while I love my home, that there isn't much for me in Fenton, but I have a life back at Mizzou... Mizzou feels like my real home to me.

I'm getting more comfortable here. I don't have to focus when Australians talk; it just sounds natural to me now.  My room is becoming more like home to me. If I do feel that stress again of being way too far from home, I try to do something new like go to a new beach, or make plans for a future trip like going sailing with friends one weekend, or go for a super hard, long run. I'm learning what works for me. Blogging also helps.

That's it for now, one month down and four to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment