Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday, March 2

Yesterday, I woke up planning on going running after my 9 am, 2 hour statistics lecture (which is starting to scare me a little bit!), but no of course, it was raining. I have never seen rain like this before; it has literally been raining nonstop here. NONSTOP. So, I was once again forced to not go running outside or go to the beach. I had been planning on spending my afternoon buying a fan (yes, I finally decided to give in), buying some clothes, and buying a much-needed umbrella, but instead I got a phone call from my friend Courtney inviting me to go with them to the Harry Potter Exhibition at the Power House Museum. After we stopped by the hospital to pick up Kristin's pain meds, we maneuvered her and her gimp leg into a taxi headed for the museum. The exhibition was so worth it! They wouldn't let me take any pictures, but they had everything! Clothes from the movies, small props from the films like wands, the Quibbler, and other things like that. How cool would it be if your job was to be the person to create those small detailed props?!

After a nap and dinner it was time to get my spirits for the weekend. Another first time Aussie experience; I bought my first bottle of alcohol: Bombora, which is sort of like a cheap version of Malibu made in Australia. It was so nice to walk into the "Bottle-O" and not even be asked to show my ID to buy my fifth. I felt so cool walking down the street with my brown bag. It really is ridiculous that America's drinking age is 21; it's going to be so weird to go back to not being able to order a drink at the bar or bottle-o.

Last night, I had another crazy Aussie experience: I rode in the front seat of an Australian car. It was so odd to pop into the front seat of the car and not have the gas pedal, the brake pedal, or the STEERING WHEEL, in front of me. Not only was it a manual, but Tom, is from Darwin and hadn't drove a car in ages apparently... And it showed. Sydney driving is crazy, everything is so congested, and there's a bunch of weird turns and round-a-bouts, so when you add that top Tom's driving; it was an experience. I kept laughing with a mixture of elation and fear. Don't worry, Mom, I made it back in one piece.

A big huge group of us went to the Rege last night to just drink and chill. It was so nice to just chill and hangout. I'm really going to miss these people when I have to go home. But, as they were saying last night, I can always come back.

Ben, Me, Aaron, Kara, and Suhki with Jason in the back. As he put it, he felt like a horse in the stable trying to poke its head, so it can watch the humans. 

Emily, Tom, and Jaime

Me, Aaron, Kara, and Suhki

Tom, Jaime, Declan, Tess, and Kara at the Rege 




No comments:

Post a Comment