Sunday, March 18, 2012

UNSW Sailing Weekend 2012 ❤

After being in the city for the past month, I was so keen to get away from all the clubs and the lights. Once I got out of class on Friday, I finished a load of laundry, packed up, and was ready to go around 5.

Alix and I made our way over to the UNSW Languages campus where they kept all of their sporting equipment and store basically everything else for all the clubs at UNSW. Once the cars were all packed up and ready to go, we hopped into Shannon's station wagon (of course, I snagged shotgun!), and were on our way. It was dark most of the drive, but we did make it over the Harbor Bridge in the daylight!



Once we got there everyone was just chilling on the beach, drinking goon, and enjoying the stars. In the Southern Hemsisphere you can actually see the Milky Way, and lucky for me, someone in my group was able to get a picture of it. It was insane, I haven't seen that many stars since I went on my cruise to Mexico. Once we ran out of wine on the beach, we headed back to the second house for a very late dinner of spaghetti. We were able to get back to the beach afterwards and enjoy a bonfire right on the sand... I finally got to do something so very Australian: have a campfire on the beach :)





Here is the picture of what the sky looked like our first night at Hawks Nest; gorgeous isn't it?!








Unfortunately, Weather was not a very happy lady this weekend; she was very cloudy and blue. I was woken up by Ajay early Saturday morning, and with very little prospects of the weather improving, I assumed that this was the best it was going to be, so I better take advantage of it. After grabbing a quick breakfast (They spent $1500 on FOOD for the weekend!), we got out the kayaks and headed out in Port Stephens. Kayaking is actually super hard because it all depends on how you center the boat with your weight, so I got a decent workout doing it. I was completely soaked and freezing after that, and I figured that there was nothing else I'd be doing in the water, so I stupidly took a hot shower to warm up and put on fresh clothes. I realized that no one was in the house, so I headed back down to the beach, but I'm one of those people that can't just sit there on a cloudy day, so I went for a run around Port Stephen instead. I always love runs like that along the beach, they always clear my head and make me appreciate where I am.  This is where the stupidity kicks in, first of all it rained a little bit during my run, not too much, but then Ajay offered to take me out sailing, and I thought when am I ever going to get the chance to do this again, so I said sure, why not. I ended up getting completely soaked head to toe, and had to take another hot shower, and put on my last remaining dry clothes.
\
All of us together for the weekend hat party!

To kill time we played the longest game of Cranium ever, and then it was time to start drinking. A group of us headed to the back the house where we played the best game of Kings Cup ever. The theme of the party was crazy hats, so luckily for me, I had a one of my college friend's lend me her pirate hat. We closed the night again by drinking by the campfire on the beach.

Sunday, I somehow adapted the sleeping patterns on a koala; pretty sure I just napped all day Sunday on the beach... Oh and I ate a huge lunch since we had a ton of food to finish off. The sun finally came out on our that afternoon, but it was still freezing for me when I was laying out on the beach. We headed back into Sydney late that night.

It was a great weekend, so glad I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment