Monday, March 12, 2012

Cheers to the Freakin' Weekend! 3/9-3/11



One of my craziest weekends yet... It was jam packed!

The part of the Argyle we were in
After doing some homework on Friday, it was time to pre-game for the night with all my Shalommies. After I had finished a significant amount of my Coke Zero and Bombora (basically a cheap Australian version of Malibu), we caught the bus to Circular Quay and ran into the highly bar-knowledgeable Daniel. After waiting in Circular Quay for what felt like forever, we headed to Jackson's on George Street where I paid $8.50 for a beer! Once everyone else arrived to George Street, we all headed to the Argyle to meet up. Even though my feet were killing me, I hung in there and survived the cobblestone red carpet. There I met my first Irish bloke, and ended up having a drink with him. Little did I know that all my friends had left, but they realized I was missing and came back for me, thank god!

The Argyle was amazing! It's located in a pretentious part of town known as the Rocks; it's the place where they first settled in Sydney, which is why it's very rustic, the cobblestone is original to the first settlers.


Once we returned to Jackson's on George Street, everyone from my college took over the dance floor! I danced for as long I could, but I had to call it a night. Luckily, Emily was ready to call it a night too, and Jason, being the good guy that he is, went back with us to make sure we were safe :). I finally got to hit the sack at 2 o'clock in the morning!

The next day was the one and only, FUTURE MUSIC FESTIVAL! We knew that drinks would be crazy expensive in there, so we drank as much as possible before hand, but not in a belligerent way, just enough to  numb any crowd anxiety that I had. We had to walk over to Randwick Racecourse which was right by our uni. Once we reached the racecourse, we had to head through this tunnel which reeked of horse manure for obvious reasons, and it was super hot on Saturday too, so the smell was sort of intensified. 
At Courtney's apartment before the festival with Verena, Courtney, and  myself
Everyone was crazy there! Either they were ridiculously drunk or they were rolling on E; I only bought two drinks there, but they cost $23 dollars! After watching Jessie J and fetching my first drink we headed over to Gym Class Heroes. I was fine at first, but the crowd started pushing hardcore, and I started getting really bad crowd anxiety; I just had to get out of there as soon as possible. I lost Courtney and Verena for a bit, after wandering around aimlessly for about an hour or so, I found them near the food. Verena knew exactly how I felt because she hates crowd too, especially after her experience in Germany's Love Parade. 

Okay, so side note, because I had never even heard about this until Verena told me. Back in Summer of 2010, Verena and her boyfriend, Julien, went to the Love Parade which was the biggest techno music festival in the world. People started to go into this tunnel and somehow a mass panic broke out inside the tunnel; it was too many people trying to get through it at once. Verena was one of the people in that tunnel, she said that all you could hear was people screaming from being in so much pain and being crushed to death, and that the police were doing nothing; she tried to get by a police officer, but he wouldn't let her through even though she told him that people were quote, "Dying in there". People were trying to hop police barricades covered with spikes in order to get out of this thing, and many people ended up having to get their arms or legs amputated. I can't believe that I had never heard of it before. 

Here's the link, everyone should read about it... it's unreal: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/24/love-parade-festival-tunnel-stampede
With everyone during the festival
Some random guy all dressed up lol
Back to the Future Music Festival! Together the three of us went back into the crowd after grabbing some food, and watched Fatboy Slim and Swedish House Mafia . Here's some videos I took to just show how crazy the event was!

I recorded Courtney when she was on this Brazilian guy's shoulders, she was so terrified because he was literally jumping up and down like "a track star" in her words... That's not Ecstasy that's making her laugh, it's fear lol 

My view from when I was on Reese's shoulders

At these festivals, everyone tends to put either girls (or even guys!) on their shoulders, this guy here, Reese, was nice enough to offer me his shoulders ha!
Like most of my weekends, I like to close with a day at the beach. I wanted to go someplace new, so I thought Courtney, Lauren, and I could try Maroubra beach which is about a single twenty minute bus ride away. It was a brilliant idea! Maroubra was amazing; it was a gorgeous day and yet it was SO quiet. It was so relaxing; it's so obvious that it's a local beach (Lauren couldn't even find any postcards!). 
Maroubra Beach
That's all I've got for now! Just got to study my butt off this week, then I'm off to Hawk's Nest!



No comments:

Post a Comment